Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Doncaster Shoppingtown Free WiFi (Wi-Fi)

On Thursday night I noticed a sign on a table in the food court letting customers know about free WiFi. I decided to try it out. Using my Apple 3G iPhone I found the wireless access point and tried to connect. I wasn't able to get access to the internet. I then decided to check the McDonalds free WiFi and whilst this time I got to the sign on page, I wasn't able to get any further.

On the recent video of Steve Jobs releasing the new iPhone 4 we saw how too many people using wireless in the audience caused the demo to fail. I suspect the same issue may be occurring as Westfield Shoppingtown, but it is only a guess.

I then resorted to my telco's 3G data service and was able to access the internet.

The frustrating aspect of free WiFi is it is a great service when it is working, but when it isn't you can't help but curse. That isn't good for the business providing the free WiFi service, which in this case is Westfield. The problem is if it becomes too hard for Westfield to provide a quality service they are likely to remove it and that to me would be an undesirable outcome.

I do hope this was a once off experience and will check the service next time I'm at the food court.

Kelvin Eldridge

1 comment:

Graham Denman said...

I live near Doncaster and have tried using their free WiFi on at least three occasions with my iPad. On each occasion it has told me that it is unable to connect. The last time was fairly early in the morning with very few people in the food court.

I have however connected through the MacDonalds WiFi but this was really slow.